Smith County Democratic Party
Copyright ©2018 Smith County Democratic Party.
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.
A nation which has forgotten the quality of courage which in the past has been brought to public life is not as likely to insist upon that regard in its chosen leaders today - and in fact we have forgotten.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly affects all indirectly.
~ Martin Luther King Jr
In the end we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
~ Martin Luther King Jr.
Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.
~ Ben Franklin
A people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives.
~ James Madison
It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate tireless minority keen to set fire in the people's minds.
~ Samuel Adams
When the government fears the people it is liberty. When the people fear the government it is tyranny.
~ Thomas Paine
Democrats are people you see in your community: at work, at church, at the store and at the ballpark. We come from all walks of life, but our shared beliefs and values help shape a strong state and nation where every citizen has the opportunity to succeed.
• In equal opportunity for all citizens.
• In rewarding, honest, hard work with a living wage and a tax system that is fair.
• In family values that are more than a political slogan.
• In quality education that gives all citizens the opportunity to reach their potential.
• In freedom from government interference in our private lives and personal decisions
• That individual strengths in our diverse population are a benefit.
• In security in our homes and safety on our streets. Criminals should face swift and certain punishment.
• In separation of Church and State to preserve the freedom to pursue our beliefs.
• In a strong United States--Morally, economically and militarily.
• In common sense reforms that give us cleaner air and safer water.
Click Here for a brief, printable page on "What is A Liberal?"
• Smith County Democratic Party Statement of Values NEW!
• Rural Texas Democratic Caucus Platform (coming soon)
• Texas Democratic Party Platform
• National Democratic Party Platform
If you really want to get upset about the party in power, read their platform. What they want to accomplish will astonish you. Even more alarming is the fact that their candidates are "strongly encouraged" to agree with the platform in order to receive GOP campaign funds (see page P-12, "Enforcing the Platform"). So when a friend says, "I just vote for the man," remind him or her that GOP candidates are beholden to their funders and must toe the party line.
• Texas Republican Party Platform
ACCOMPLISHMENTS ACHIEVED UNDER DEMOCRATIC LEADERSHIP:
• Women's Suffrage Amendment
• Social Security
• Minimum Wage Law
• Agricultural Extension Service
• 40-Hour Work Week
• Workers Compensation Act
• Soil Conservation Service
• Unemployment Compensation Act
• Rural Electrification Act
• National Labor Relations Act
• Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
• Clayton Antitrust Act
• Securities and Exchange Act
• G.I. Bill of Rights
• School Lunch Program
• Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
• Full Employment Act
• Federal Home Loan Program
• Marshall Plan
• North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)
• Peace Corps and VISTA
• Operation Head Start
• Older Americans Act
• Civil Rights Act of 1964
• Voting Rights Act of 1965
• Guaranteed Student Loan Program
• Water Quality Act
• Clean Air Act
• Family and Medical Leave Act
• Motor Voter Act
• 100,000 new police (by Clinton)
• Child Labor Legislation
• Pure Food and Drug Act
SOME INSPIRATIONAL QUOTES